Thursday, September 20, 2007

I'm Baffled

I have seen something that I can’t explain. No, it’s not a ghost or a UFO or large, hairy man-beast that lives in the forest. It’s a true enigma.

Spied on the shelves of a discount store in small-town Mississippi last weekend:




It’s a pink, “Hello Kitty,” 6-cup coffee maker. A pink coffee maker. With a kitty on it. A kitty. ON the coffee maker.

And it's not even a kiddie-sized, "EZBake Oven"-style coffee maker that comes with little packets of instant coffee that you mix up in a miniature plastic cup and stick under a light bulb to heat. No, it's the real thing, a full-sized model suitable for a whole family (or one caffeine addict).

I can’t come up with a reasonable explanation for the existence of such a thing. Is it for the six-year-old who has everything? For that busy, on-the-go 4th grader who just can’t start the day without a cup of Joe? For the freaky cat-lady down the street with the pink kitchen? Who?

Somebody, please, explain this to me. Please.

11 Comments:

Blogger Evil Spock said...

Tweenage culture is taking over the world.

Evil Spock has a Hello Kitty Button Maker . . .

11:28 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

It could be Big Gay Al's Big Gay Butch Coffee Pot for all I care.

Just so long as there's fully-caffeinated java within, I'll be right there with my cup.

Ian

12:09 AM  
Blogger Schmoopie said...

It is for all of us "thirty-somethings" that loved Hello Kitty (okay, still love) and are now caffeine-addicted adults who will buy it on a whim. (I am not saying I have one or have looked longingly at one or anything.)

12:28 AM  
Blogger Stucco said...

Or it's meant for this locally common sort of super-skinny Asian man with a girlie hairdo that has Hello Kitty shit. Weird.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

That is bizarre. Funny enough Big Brother blogged about something similar recently. A Cinderella toaster.

I can't quite get my head around these thngs.

http://lifeinthetwilightzone.blogspot.com/2007/09/weird-sights.html
(sorry the link isn't right..)

8:18 AM  
Blogger kara said...

So...you bought it...right? Please tell me you bought it.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

So many 20 and 30 year olds still love that crap.

Go figure.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Maybe it's for that gurlie type that has a pink bathroom?? I'm afraid I can SO see my middle daughter [26] with this... and she doesn't even drink coffee!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Whippersnapper said...

Yeah, I agree with Ian. Just give me the coffee, I don't care where it comes from.

(I forgot how much getting up each morning at 5:45 am sucks.)

4:56 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

evil spock, do you make and wear said buttons? If so, I need to have a talk with your girlfriend...

ian, I'd sooner have a Big Gay Al Big Gay Coffee Maker in my kitchen than a pink kitty coffee maker.

schmoopie, I'm so relieved. If you should ever feel the urge to buy one, just take Nancy Reagan's advice and "Just Say No."

stucco, Maybe they're aspiring to be little girls. Scarey.

jazz, Holy Crap! I thought you were making it up. A cinderella toaster. The Hello Kitty coffee maker doesn't seem so strange anymore.

kara, No, I didn't buy it. Our house is a coffee-free zone. Neither Slag nor I ever took up the habit. I do keep some Folger's Crystals around for emergencies though.

jocelyn, The 20's kids are starting to look so young to me that I mistake them for 6th-graders these days.

cheesy, You would take it away from her, wouldn't you? Please say you would.

whippersnapper, Nobody should have to get up while it's still dark outside. The sun is God's alarm clock, after all.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home