Saturday, July 28, 2007

Absence and Accolades

So I haven’t been posting for a while. I’d like to say I’ve been off traveling the world or organizing a corporate take-over or something. But no, I’m just uninspired. I do my best work when I’m really pissed, or at least a little annoyed or excited or SOMETHING, but it just isn’t happening. If I were 7 years old, I’d be whining to my mother: “I’m booooored. There’s nothing to doooooo.” And then she would respond with: “I’ll find you something to do. Go wash the dishes.”

And that’s essentially what I’ve told myself. “You’re bored? Mow the yard. Do some laundry. Clean out the garage. Shave your legs.” I’ve been listening to myself too. When something interesting does finally come along, I’ll have all my chores done and will be ready to party.

Woohoo.

So anyway, here’s a brief update on a few mildly interesting things that have happened recently.

- Jazz gave me a Schmooze award! I’m feeling a little guilty for getting a “blogging community involvement” award and then disappearing for a month. But I feel really special that somebody noticed I was gone. Thanks Jazz! P.S. No buttering up is required. We'd love to meet you.

- I know it’s boring to talk about the weather, but the weather is freaking me out. I haven’t seen anything like this in the almost 20 years that I’ve lived in Texas. I don’t think it’s been above 90 degrees once this year. And it’s raining every afternoon. Every single afternoon. The lawn isn’t requiring weekly transfusions of water in order to keep it barely alive until the heat breaks in October. If I didn’t know better, I would swear central Texas has been packed up and shipped off to Florida for the summer. There is water everywhere. People, this is WEIRD.

- My sister has a bun in the oven, due in December. Which means I’m pregnant with a baby quilt. I was all set to get started on it this week, but the little rascal was feeling shy and wouldn’t show his/her naughty bits during the ultrasound last week, so I don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl yet. Which means my fabric selection is on hold. Which means the quilt is on hold. Fabric selection is the key to my creative process. On the plus side, this means Sis will be calling the papoose “Whodat” for another month, which totally cracks me up.

- I’ve discovered that I can shop for shoes on the internet. At work. When I should be, you know, working. The grownup part of me knows this is a bad thing, but the rest of me thinks it’s fabulous!

9 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

I vote you shave your legs even if you're not bored.

Ian

12:17 PM  
Blogger Schmoopie said...

It's good to have you back. I am, quite frequently, uninspired to write. I am always inspired to read other people's blogs though!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

"whodat" Priceless!!
Good to see your ions again gurlie.. btw

zappos.com ROCKS
[my shoe shopping addiction one stop shop]

4:27 AM  
Blogger Em said...

I did miss you but figured you were off on some fabulous vacation. Sorry that wasn't the case.

Congratulations to your sis!

And next time you want to buy shoes while at work, tell your inner-adult to just shut up! LOL

9:18 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

She's Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack...

Shoe shopping at work. I never thought of that!!!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Evil Spock said...

I go for bike rides.

I'm kinda torn with the whole shopping for shoes online (or anything online) because we have some really quality local shoe stores, and I think that shopping online would kill them.

11:54 AM  
Blogger kara said...

I’ve discovered that I can shop for shoes on the internet. At work.

FINALLY. I'm so proud. So proud.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Whippersnapper said...

Congrats on your award!

I myself don't have a shoe fetish, but I understand completely that this is a defect on MY part, so I'm very excited for you. And I ALWAYS notice when you disappear for a while. =<

10:49 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

ian, Have you been talking to Slag?

schmoopie, Yeah, same here. I'm always happy to read other people's blogs. :)

cheesy, Yep, she's a hoot. Oh, and I did not need another shoe web site to visit. But this one looks remarkably good.

em, No, there was no fabulous vacation. I keep the inner adult under control most of the time. Isn't it obvious?

jazz, I highly recommend it. Shoe hopping makes the day go much faster.

evil spock, I don't think my online shopping will kill my local shoe shopping habits. I just end up with more shoes than I would have otherwise. Being a guy, you probably only buy shoes when you need them, right?

kara, I KNEW you would be. (I'm basking in the glow of your approval now.)

whippersnapper, No shoe fetish, huh? Maybe I'll send Kara over to your place to indoctrinate you.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home