Monday, July 20, 2009

A Little Shot of Adrenalin on a Monday Morning

My boss (who resides in another city), called me this morning to tell me that Mega-Corporation is planning some "work force reductions" in our group which will be announced later this week..............but that I am not affected.

I proceeded to curse and physically threaten him for scaring the crap out me so early in the morning. Am such a lady.

Oh, and would I please not discuss this call with anyone? Apparently, someone higher up asked the first-line managers to reassure those who don't need to worry, probably so we'll keep working like busy little bees, and not updating our resumes and linking to each other on LinkedIn.com and standing around in the hallways speculating.

There may not be a good way to do this, but I'm not convinced that this is the least worse way. Technically, all we should have to do now is figure out who didn't get a "safe" call. But who has the nerve to ask someone else if they got a call? Not me.

I feel bad for my boss. He's a decent guy, stuck with a really crappy task. Sometimes being a manager sucks.

Of course, I feel really bad for those who are going to be unemployed by the end of the week, but don't know it yet. And I feel relieved and grateful and guilty that it's not going to be me this time. But I keep in mind that six months from now it may be me.

So now we wait to see where the axe falls.....

4 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

That's sort of evil actually - you're safe but don't tell anyone what's coming.... evil evil.

Why not just shut up about it and announce it to everyone at the same time? Ignorance really is bliss sometimes.

11:49 AM  
Blogger kara said...

as long as he's not just trying to make you complacent...and then BAM! but i'm sure that's not the case. because he knows you would kill him, right?

12:28 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

How oddly backasswards, in a way--I mean, that you could go around and see who didn't get called...

So, er, congrats to you?

12:50 AM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

My son worked for your Mega-corp..[heheh I know this because of my stat counter!] he always had his resume ready.. good thing too because a wonderful opportunity opened for him right before they started the huge cut backs.. [[u]]] crappy position to be in dear. Keep your chin up!

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home