Sunday, May 10, 2009

Progress

Slag and I went to a restaurant yesterday and actually sat at a table and ate! We did not order take-out. I did not shovel down the second half of my meal as fast as possible while Slag waited out in the car with the seat fully reclined. Slag did not end the dining experience contorted into a bizarre-looking, semi-yoga-ish position on his side of the booth.

I'm really really trying not to count my chickens too soon. Slag is still heavily medicated. But things are looking pretty good over here. We may actually return to normal life some day. It could happen. Eating in restaurants, flying on planes, going to movies. Omigod, MOVIES! Seeing movies BEFORE they come out on video. The mind reels.


On a completely different subject, Slag has a very nice-looking, salt-and-pepper goatee going right now. I like it. It started after surgery with him not shaving for a week because he could barely stand up long enough to take a real shower. Shaving required vertical time that he just didn't have. Then he decided to let it grow a bit, to see how it would look. At that point I insisted that he at least shave his neck to keep it looking well-groomed and not like he suddenly became homeless and had no access to shaving toiletries.

But as the beard started to fill in, I started noticing something weird. Everytime I saw his face from a certain angle, he looked a lot like my ex. Or I should say, The Ex.

So yeah, let's be realistic. Any normal, average-ishly-attractive woman who starts dating at 17 and doesn't marry until 37 can be expected to have a certain number of exes. But this was the ex with the big "E". The one who dumped me after 5 years for someone else. The one who initiated the big Ugly Breakup with the big "U" and the big "B." Which led to the Humiliation with the big "H" and the Therapy with the the big "T." That one.

Oh, don't worry. I dealt with everything and moved on with my life long ago, before I even met Slag. I'm not bitter. Really. Nonetheless, it's still not a memory that I need shoved in my face every time I look at my husband.

So what was my point? Oh yeah, so every time I saw Slag from this certain angle, D. popped into my head. It was only fair to clue Slag in. I told him he could keep the whole beard if he wanted to, but I just felt that I had to at least let him know what was going on.

He decided it would be appropriate to modify the facial hair. I think he made the right decision.

The goatee is awesome. It gives him just a hint of that bad-boy look. Once he's completely recovered from the surgery, I'm thinking it will go really well with his hard hat and tool belt left over from his iron working years. Heh.

I'll do my best to get a decent picture of it. I'm hindered by the fact that he hates having his picture taken and also that he has a rule against his face appearing on the internets. So, if I do acquire and post a picture, I will be in trouble. But it's OK. If I slip him an extra pain pill, he may not even remember it. Plus I'm pretty sure I could take him down in his current state of decrepitude. I am not afraid.

7 Comments:

Anonymous joy said...

I can't wait to see it!

6:35 PM  
Blogger Mauigirl said...

So glad he's doing well. And looking forward to seeing the goatee. My husband also has a goatee - he started with a mustache over 20 years ago (when we first dated and got married he had neither a mustache or a goatee). Then about 5 years ago he grew the goatee.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Just crop out the face and show the hair! I too am looking forward to it!

9:57 PM  
Blogger kara said...

i'm not reading this blog again until slag sports the handlebar.

you know this is an idle threat, but i still feel like making it.

1:08 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I don't remember the last time I saw a movie before it came out on video. And I'm not in an advanced state of decrepitude as you so lovingly put it...

Now, go take his pic and just black out the eyes. Or something. Or take a pic of the two of you. It'd be nice to put a face to the blog. ;-)

2:36 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

Um, yes, to the photo, so I can tell you and Slag, based on evidence, how cute he is.

Heck, I miss you when you're gone. I hope Slag recovers apace--and/or remains medicated as long as you need him that way.

9:41 PM  
Blogger kara said...

progress with no updates is not progress!

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home