Monday, March 16, 2009

Back Watch 2009 Update - Complete System Failure

Total spinal failure has finally arrived. Slag can no longer stand or walk. Records are being gathered even as we speak. It's likely that we'll be heading off to the top spinal surgery center in Texas very soon. It's about a 3.5 hour drive from here, so getting him there is going to be a challenge.

Hell, getting him in the car is going to be a challenge, but in the car he will go, even if I have to strap him onto a dollie, a la Hannibal Lector, and roll him out to the driveway.

He's remarkably calm and good-tempered, even as he keeps his life in running order from a horizontal position on the couch in the living room, with only the occasional Vicodin to keep the pain to a tolerable level. He's got all three phones within easy reach and has been fielding work calls all morning. Not sure what he's telling his clients. I am hoping he's telling them something like "I can't walk right now, so no, I won't be able to inspect that house this afternoon. "

Thank Zeus I can do my job completely from home, as long as the internet connection stays functional, so I don't have to leave him stranded.

And I am calm because I have a valid prescription for the good pills.

"Drugs are bad, but the good pills are good, m'kay?"

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Doug's back is so bad. We will be thinking about you guys. Let us know how it goes with the spine docs.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Pills are indeed good... meh, so are drugs come to think of it.

So sorry about this. Keep us posted.

8:16 AM  
Blogger kara said...

that's horrible, i'm so sorry. make the medical men fix him...they have to be able to do something! they're medical men!

and women!

keep us posted.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Shit~
Hug him gently for us all~

12:43 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

Oh, Punky. This is the suck.

All the best--and may he retain his good humor.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Mauigirl said...

So sorry to hear about his back - I hope all goes well and he gets back to his old self.

And yay for the good pills! I have some too and swear by them...

11:19 AM  
Blogger JAM said...

It's all a long, drawn-out process. I've been living it for several years, but I went from totally incapacitated to working full time again.

There's hope. Best wishes to you both.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home