Thursday, July 23, 2009

Chop Chop

Turns out I misunderstood my boss on Monday when I thought he said people would be notified by the end of the week if they were being layed-off (or is it laid-off?). They were notified by the end of the DAY. Everything makes a lot more sense now. Really.

One guy on my team was "impacted" and another from my second-line area was also "impacted." In this context, "impacted" means kicked out on your butt after 15 years with the company. Oh, and all the work is still there to do. I assume all the extra work will be out-sourced to a group of eager gnomes and fairies who will come in the dark of night and take care of everything. Gotta remember to give my fairy godmother a call too. Maybe she and her wand can pitch in.

In other news, my officemate of seven years cleaned out his desk yesterday. We don't work in the same division anymore, so he was "impacted" three weeks ago. Friday is his last official day on the payroll. See, when you get notice that you've been "impacted," you have four more weeks on the payroll. You're supposed to spend that time transferring your knowledge to someone else who doesn't have time to think about it, and also looking for another job within the company. Of which there are none, so looking is pointless. Officemate actually has been showing the ropes to the guy who is taking over his work. I think that's really nice of him. He's definitely nicer than me.

And of course there's a cherry on top of this magnificent sundae. Two weeks ago today, another guy on my team was hit and killed by a drunk driver while riding his motorcycle. A bunch of us went to a memorial for him last Saturday. There was a huge crowd. He was a very friendly and well-liked guy. Ironically, at the event I also got to catch up with a few former coworkers who had been layed-off in recent months.

Plus...I know it's a really inappropriate thought and I would never say it to anyone except all of you out on the internets...I wondered if his accident would mean that someone else on the team would get to keep their job. Don't know if it did or not, and didn't ask.

Needless to say, it's been a very uplifting few weeks here at Mega-Corporation. Everything is so freaking quiet. Everyone is cranky and irritable (including self). We survivors are numbly slogging through the drifts of work that have continued to accumulate during all the drama, with no hope of getting it all under control anyway, so why bother. Sigh.

Now it's back to our regularly scheduled programming: chipping away at the rocks in the salt mine and doing our best to keep the crazy at bay.

P.S. Is it "laid-off or "layed-off." I really need to know.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

It's laid off.

Or rather: impacted. Do they actually think it changes anything to call it that?

The atmosphere must be shit right now, go have a glass of wine. And to hell with everyone else's accumulation. You can't do it all, nor should you even try...

I'm evil minded like that...

11:32 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

Jazz has got it: laid off.

Impacted is such b.s.--like bad wisdom teeth, eh? Only to be extracted with the aid of strong painkillers.

This is all just the suck, honey.

12:35 AM  
Blogger Mauigirl said...

So sorry to hear of the layoffs at Mega Corporation. I've been through lots of these cycles at the place I work and they are never fun. And sorry to hear of the death of your coworker.

A friend of mine who works at a big pharma company was recently told her job is being eliminated - but not till December 1st! So she is stuck working there helping transition the function until December! To me that is way too soon to tell someone. But at least she gets a package of 34 weeks of salary after her layoff takes effect. (She's worked there a long time).

Another friend has been out of work for several months and hasn't found anything yet and his "package" will run out in the fall. Hopefully he'll find something before then...

8:44 AM  
Blogger kara said...

so what would you do if it happened to you? write a novel? design clothing? breed children to sell? just curious.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

I believe it is "fucking kick out" ya that's how it is spelled.

[[[ u and you team ]]]

7:56 AM  
Blogger choochoo said...

Fairy godmothers never pitch in. They just flutter around and giggle while sprinkling shiny glitter everywhere. About as useful as fireflies, really.

Yeah, they have to achieve maximum productivity or whatever. Ethics.. what's that? Pffft.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Maddy said...

Visiting from Jazz......I won't complain about the 10% pay cut around here in that case.

10:03 AM  
Blogger adventure grrl said...

Ooooo, I finally found you!!! I wanted to let you know I'm back to blogging at 100 Days in Bed. You left me the sweetest comment so I thought I'd let you know. xoxoxo


PS, I hope u come back and write soooooon.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home