Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Christmas Geeks

As I sit in the living room and look around at our Christmas decor, I can see that we are clearly not traditionalists. We’ve got Yoda on top of the tree and Slag has left the George W. Bush action figure that I got him for Xmas in a very rude and compromising position under the tree. There’s not an angel to be found. No candy canes. No nativity scenes. No Santas except for the dancing, singing Santa in boots and a cowboy hat that sings a reindeer song to the tune of the theme from Rawhide while twirling a rope. I don’t remember who, but I know that had to be a gift from someone in my family. Whenever one of my relatives sees something that might be cowboy or Texas-related, they buy it and send it to Slag, as if we don’t already have enough western-style stuff here in Texas. I will say that the cowboy Santa is one of the better cowboy-themed things we’ve received. It’s pretty funny, though the theme from Rawhide can get a little annoying after you’ve heard it for the 117th time.

The centerpiece to me, though, is the Simpson’s ™ Christmas Village. It’s more fun than all the other decorations combined. Here’s a look before it goes back into the closet until next year.





We are Christmas geeks. Happy Holidays!

7 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

I applaud your break from tradition! And it seems Yoda was on the tree...though there was some talk of the obsessive-compulsive action figure? And the Simpson's Village is perfection! When you have Moe's and the 'twin towers' in the background, you have a great holiday scenario!

I do promise to never send you anything with a Texas/western theme. I bet you can buy that stuff right where you live, eh? :)

3:44 PM  
Blogger Whippersnapper said...

We have dangling body parts hanging from our tree (long story, and not very interesting.) You could argue that a tongue hanging from your tree is not very festive, but since all we've done around here for the last four days is eat, I actually find it kind of appropriate.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

em, The obsessive-compulsive action figure ended up being a gift for L. (aka "Skiver" on Slag's blog), a very fastidious friend of ours. He thought it was great. And, yeah, we've got all the Texas-shaped waffle irons, cutting boards, clocks, wall plaques, and welcome mats we need around here.

whippersnapper, I don't care how uninteresting the story is, you have to tell me about the tongue on your tree. Is it a real tongue? Human? Animal? I need ideas for next year.

2:16 PM  
Blogger kara said...

I must know where you got that. Immediately. If not sooner. Yesterday would be better for me. But for serious...my father needs that. It's just the thing to bring out the Humbug in him.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

kara, The obsessive-compulsive action figure or the Simpson's Christmas Village? The OCD guy I got on mcphee.com; the Christmas village at collectiblestoday.com. I'm thinking these guys should be giving me a cut for the free advertising. :)

8:04 PM  
Blogger Schmoopie said...

The Yoda on your tree reminded me of the part in the 6th book of Harry Potter where Fred and George tied up a garden gnome and stuck him up on the tree, still alive. I love people who have their own style especially at Christmas!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

It seems we're the same type of Christmas geek.

I have Darth Tater on top of the tree, A Mr./Mrs./baby Potatohead nativity scene (the 3 wise men are also potato heads - yes, I'm obsessed, probably cause I had none when I was a child), and the only Santa Clause is Homer Simpson, dressed in a Santa suit who sings drunken christmas carols.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home