Monday, December 04, 2006

Yoda Has Arrived

Last night Slag and I hauled the fake Christmas tree out of the attic, put it together and strung lights on it without any cross words passing between us! Woohoo! It’s the start to a successful Christmas season.

We were pooped after the lights, so the decorations will have to wait until tonight. We had to at least put Yoda in his place of honor at the top of the tree, though. Plus, as you can see, he’s pretty integrated with the light installation.



--------------------------- photo courtesy of Slag

Yoda has been with us since our first Christmas together, living in sin. We spent an entire Saturday driving around town, looking for something fun to top our tree. Slag was hoping for some sort of Clash-of-the-Titans-ish action figure that we could make into a Zeus, but we never found anything that was big enough. I was thinking that Elvis would be cool, but the only Elvis figures we found were multi-hundred dollar Limited Edition type things that neither of us wanted to invest in. At the end of the day, we ended up in a local head shop that carries lots of cool toys, and there we saw the perfect thing: a rubber Yoda hand-puppet. He was the correct size and he fit down on top of the tree like he was made for it. After all these years, he still smells like the funky incense they burn in the store.

Welcome back Yoda!

“When 900 years you reach, look as good, you will not.”

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so need something like that for the top of my tree...

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, that's fantastic. Mainly because I hate Star Wars and everything to do with it so there's a certain sense of satisfaction in seeing his decapitated head on a spike (or "tree", if you will") where it belongs.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I LOVE Yoda. I have a little plastic one that usually sits on my computer, reminding me to try to be wise. :)

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally love it, Jill! But I would have been into Elvis, as well. Either way, a great way to take something so traditional and give it a flair! I think on HGTV, they call that 'a touch of whimsy'. LOL

6:20 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

The only thing that could top your topper would be one of those talking Yodas--just give him a prod, and your treetop would spout backwards-syntaxed wisdoms. Eek.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

jazz, The possibilities are just endless. I bet there's a Mr. Potato Head out there with youe name on it.

kara, You're going to make an old lady cry over the sad state of affairs. I think it's truly wrong that the first Star Wars memories for anyone under 30 are likely to be the collective abomination known as Episodes I, II, and III. "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back" are light years ahead of the abomination in everything besides special effects. You've got to give them another chance. Just put the abomination out of your mind and pretend Episodes I, II, and III never existed.

anne, I love him too. I quote him whenever I can. :)

em, "A touch of whimsey" always makes me think of garden knomes. I guess Yoda could be a garden knome, if we set him if he set him in the yard. Hmmm, that might be a good use for Yoday for the other 11 months out of the year.

jocelyn, Omigod, I DO remember seeing a talking Yoda someplace! I wonder if that would push the Christmas tree over the line from "cute" to "annoying" though....

12:29 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hilarious. my first non-Mom decorated tree had ALF tied tightly to the top branch with lights and strings of popcorn.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

jk, That's fabulous! Did you at least tie him on with tinsel?

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just had to comment on this one. "Wonderful" is all I can come up with.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home