Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Mmmmm

Tonight Slag finally produced the batch of cathead biscuits that he's been teasing L and me with for a couple of weeks. The biscuits were accompanied by fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and cream gravy. I think there must have been a broccoli garnish too, because I distinctly remember there being something green on the plate. We stuffed ourselves beyond all reason. Afterwards, we laid around on the furniture like walrus, grunting intermittently and sometimes unsuccessfully attempting to roll over.

Slag and L had scarfed a wee bit more than I did, so they only had the strength to press buttons on the TV remote (or so they said), which left me to jump up and hand out candy to the trick-or-treaters every time the doorbell rang. Thanks guys. This year I noticed there were several "homeless person" costumes, most of which consisted of a ratty T-Shirt, ripped jeans, and a cardboard sign that said something cute like "Will trick-or-treat for candy" or "Down on my luck. Any candy will help." I'll give them points for creativity, but there was also a distinct lack of effort that I don't think should be encouraged.

We were also visited by a couple of boys (men?) who towered over me and and asked for candy with voices lower than Barry White's. It seems to me that once a person starts to shave, it's time to stop with the trick-or-treating. Just my opinion....

Anyway, I'm still digesting. Don't have the energy to write any more, but damn that man can fry some chicken. I am a lucky woman.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG...cathead biscuits with chicken and gravy! It has been 26 years since I left Mississippi to move to New England. And I've yet to find any really good southern food. You are a lucky woman.

I suddenly have an urge for grits.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

em, Moving from Mississippi to New England must have been quite a shock. In just about every way I can think of. Do they even know what grits are up there?

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What on earth are cathead biscuits? (Is my Canadianity showing through?)

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home