Monday, July 09, 2007

Resurrection

I turned my iPod on this morning, just as I was about to start some boring, mindless task at work. Tunes are the only way I can make through such things without my eyeballs melting.

This is what I saw on the iPod screen:



Hmmm, I said to myself. I've never seen such a thing before. What could it mean? It looks like a little frowny iPod. With X's where its eyes should be. If iPods had eyes.

Don't X's for eyes usually indicate death in the cartoon world? (Ominous music plays in the background.)

So I did a little googling. Turns out I was correct. X-eyes does mean death in the iPod world. This icon is the "sad iPod" icon. Sad because it means your iPod is nonfunctional. Deceased. Dead as a doornail. Apple’s website says they will cheerfully fix my iPod for $249 (plus shipping). Which is exactly what they’re selling the new Nanos for.

And so, I was not happy this morning at work. I had to do a tedious, mind-numbing task without tunes of any kind, plus I needed to fork over another few hundred bucks to the Apple-industrial complex if I ever wanted to hear my music again. My music was being held hostage. Bastards.

But all was not lost. I hadn’t given up completely yet. I kept on googling until I found this page:

How to Fix an iPod with the Sad iPod Icon

The article recommends banging the iPod, charging socket side down, on a hard surface to reset this little cable thingy that comes loose sometimes. What the heck. I had nothing to lose. I took my iPod out of its little protective case and gave it one good whack on the table.

I have to say that this particular repair strategy is very emotionally satisfying. Plus it worked. My iPod came back to life without so much as losing track of a single playlist. There were all my play counts, just as I had left them.

I still can’t believe it. One whack saved me $249 (plus shipping). I love the internet.

12 Comments:

Blogger Whippersnapper said...

That is such a great story. I wonder if the whacking method works with all things that are, *ahem*, out of whack as it were. Next time one of my kids malfunctions I'm so going to try it.

Oh, kidding of course.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Schmoopie said...

My friend has a t.v. that she whacks nightly to get it to work. I just get a kick out of "the whacking method." Must be popular with the guys!

11:00 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

GAWD. I love that. I mean, I really love that--you just whacked the thing. Damn.

1:24 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

That's hilarious.

Ian

7:19 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

You need three tools in life:

Duct tape for things that move but shouldn't.

WD40 for things that don't move but should.

And the ability to whack things that malfunction like your ipod.

9:55 AM  
Blogger kara said...

OH MY GOD. I can't believe it. They don't offer that as a fix on their site? Fuckers! White obsessed, lowercased arial font using, John Hodgeman exploiting FUCKERS! I hate apple. I hate them and their beady eyes. All of them.

Glad you got it working again, though.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Evil Spock said...

Cool. Btw, there are 3rd parties that will fix your iPod for like $50.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Em said...

First I'll admit that I love all things Apple. Could not live without my mac on my desk at work, my mac at home, and my apple laptop in between. And my little iPod is my dear friend.

All that being said, Apple has had official tech documents that stated to "just hit it" with previous products. Works every time! I love it!

Glad your sad iPod is happy again!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

whippersnapper, I'm going to try the whacking method on my car the next time it gives me trouble.

schmoopie, If nothing else, it can efinitely improve your mood.

jocelyn, Isn't it perfect? Because whacking it is exactly what you feel like doing anyway!

ian, It was fun!

jazz, I would only add one more item to your list: a bottle of cheap red wine, to make you feel better when the previous three don't work.

kara, I can't help it. I love those Apple commercials. Hodgeman is the perfect PC.

evil spock, You're trying to ruin all my fun, aren't you?

em, My iPod is the only Apple device I have, but I love it. I want a new one, but I'm holding out until the 8GB Nano's come in some other color besides red and black. I'm superficial like that.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

wow... maybe I should try that.. I cant even get mine to turn on....

10:37 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Auntie Jill, you have an award; it's at my blog

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great whack job! I'm glad you resuscitated your Ipod.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home