Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Touch-Ups

I’m trapped in a “project management” class this week. That means that I get to sit in class all day and then do my regular work in the evenings. It’s also cutting into my customary lunch time blog surfing, and I’m not happy about that either. I just know everyone is missing my witty comments. Is that wailing I hear??

The class is interesting, but only in a hypothetical kind of way. In my experience, the topics we are studying will only be applicable in some imaginary world where no one does any work until after they are presented with a “project charter” and a “statement of work.” Out here in the real world, we sling code first and ask questions later. And we always create the project schedule after all the work is done. That way we don’t have to keep revising the schedule when everything is late. It’s way more efficient that way.

Anywho, on another class-related topic, I’ve got some advice for all you project management course instructors out there in the world: It’s important for you to always remember that your chosen profession requires that a room full of people gaze at you all day long and attempt to absorb the information that you’re spewing. If you happen to be a middle-aged man who is going gray, and you can’t face it and are dying your hair back to the dark blond you had twenty years ago, please get your roots touched up before each new class begins. Otherwise, your students will be so distracted by your hair that they won’t be able to concentrate on what’s coming out of your mouth. And that’s just a waste of everyone’s time, isn’t it? Thank you.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

Project management... I dunno who came up with the concept, but they must've made millions from it, and millions more fixing things when the whole management of said project collapses.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Oh cripes,,, he doesn't have comb over too does he?
Hurry back from the land of the mundane!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Em said...

There is a void in the force when you don't write. But now that we know where you are...it is almost like we can feel the energy of the dark side.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Scott from Oregon said...

Makes me wanna never do the dye, though I am sorely tempted.

I'm too cool to be old!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

Maybe you could print out a copy of this post and drop it at her feet?

3:54 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

And when I typed "her feet," I surely did mean "his feet."

3:54 PM  
Blogger Evil Spock said...

Ah, The Few does like it when you come by and leave snarky comments.

Evil Spock hopes when Evil Spock hits Evil Spock's midlife crisis, it'll be quite mild.

1:56 PM  
Blogger kara said...

I suppose it's better than if he was sporting a rug, though, you know? Or worse...armpit stainage. Or both. We call that the double whammy.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Whippersnapper said...

Your witty comments are fabulous. I keep going back to the last one you wrote and, honestly, I laugh each time I read it.

I'd write more here but I'm late for a (hastily booked and previously unplanned) appointment to get my roots done...

9:52 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

jazz, Yep, somebody must be making money off of it, or we wouldn't be doing it.

cheesy, No, no comb-over. He had a lot of hair for amiddle-aged man. In fact, he looked great except for the dye-job.

em, "The force is strong with this one."

scott, No dye! No! Bad Scott! Bad dog.

jocelyn, I'll happily make fun of someone as long as there's no chance he'll find out about it. I wouldn't want him to feel bad. It's the hypocrit in me.

evil spock, Go for a red sports car instead of a dye job. It's a little less ridiculous-looking.

kara, Oh god, there's already too much arm-pit stainage around here. I don't want to talk about it.

whippersnapper, Oooh, sorry. I swear I wasn't trying to make you feel self-conscious. Roots are totally fine on women, expected even. You even see celebrities walking around with roots showing allt he time. It's the latest thing!

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home