Thursday, February 01, 2007

Self Abuse

Is there such a thing as a chocolate hangover? Yesterday I accidentally ate the bottom layer of a Godiva 36-piece Gold Ballotin for lunch. Today I feel like crap. Could there be a connection?

In my defense, I didn’t mean to eat it all. But now I have nothing. :(

It was the remainder of my windfall from the post-Christmas half-price sale at godiva.com. I had been slowly eating away at the box, a piece or two at a time, for the previous week. I can eat chocolate with moderation if I keep it in some relatively inaccessible place that’s out of sight. That way, I don’t see it and grab a piece (or three) every time I walk by.

My usual, preferred, out-of-sight location is the freezer, but I just couldn’t do that to the lovely golden box of Godiva chocolates, with each piece nestled down into an individually sized and shaped cup. The freezer environment was too hostile. Godiva chocolates have to be kept at room temperature, so as not to bruise the ganache.

This box stayed upstairs in the extra bedroom with the door shut, rendering it extremely out of sight. It worked! I could eat just a couple of pieces a day with no problem. And I got a little exclamation point of ecstasy in my day every time I remembered the box was up there. It was a repetitive bonanza, if you will.

So then I got cocky and brought the box to work. I thought I could continue the strategy, if I only put the box out of sight in a desk drawer. Ha! Double Ha! I am dumb. The box was completely empty within three hours. I started eating as soon as I got to work, so I guess it wasn’t technically lunch. It was more of a breakfast dessert brunch that extended into lunch. But the result was the same. It was all gone by 12pm.

When will I learn that I cannot be trusted with chocolate while at my desk?? I should know myself better after 41 years. The chocolate must be out of sight AND out of reach for this strategy to work and there’s no place in my office that is sufficiently out of reach. And I’m including the top of the dropped ceiling tiles.

This also might explain why my run yesterday afternoon sucked with the force of a thousand vacuum cleaners. That’s a lot.

10 Comments:

Blogger kara said...

How's that different than eating a giant, as big as your face steak? So you get a bit hyper...at least your arteries aren't clogged by teatime. And you jog??? Shoot.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Whippersnapper said...

See, God is punishing you for all those child slaves that toiled in the fields to bring you that box of choclatey goodness.

I hope you know I'm kidding. a) I'm not religious, and b)let's face it, if Mother Theresa had been left alone with a box of Godiva chocolates, she would have double-checked for witnesses, and then downed the whole box. Personally, I've learned to be philosophical about the times when I pig out on something to the point of nausea: Everyone does it sometimes. It doesn't kill you. And it sure is fun while you're doing it!!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Stucco said...

The chocolates were asking for it...

6:52 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

The fact that you actually get your butt out to jog more than makes up for the chocolate orgy.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Schmoopie said...

I completely relate to this post. At your suggestion, I went to Godiva.com and ordered some chocolatey goodness. It was HEAVENLY. I was pretty successful with eating the box in moderation, but if I had downed half the box in one sitting, I don't think I would have felt too guilty about it. I would have justified it somehow. Chocolate is good for the soul and you did jog afterward! :)

4:29 PM  
Blogger Evil Spock said...

How weird; it's Chocolate Fest here in Bloomington! Are you secretly being paid by Godiva to advertise chocolate this weekend?!?

5:32 PM  
Blogger Em said...

You jogged on the same day? I'm impressed. I would have slept off the buzz and jogged the next day. LOL

9:01 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Jill~~ this is long but I thought of you this morning when I read it!!
rejoice!

Man cannot live on chocolate alone; but woman sure can.

Among life's mysteries is how a two pound box of chocolate can make a woman gain five pounds.

Forget love -- I'd rather fall in chocolate!!!

Chocolate is nature’s way of making up for Mondays.

Stress wouldn’t be so hard to take if it were chocolate covered.

Eat a square meal a day - a box of chocolate.

Other things are just food. But chocolate's chocolate.

Chocolate causes certain endocrine glands to secrete hormones that affect your feelings and behavior by making you happy. Therefore, it counteracts depression, in turn reducing the stress of depression. Your stress-free life helps you maintain a youthful disposition, both physically and mentally. So, eat lots of chocolate.

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

A little too much chocolate is just about right.

In the cookies of life, friends are the chocolate chips.

There’s more to life than chocolate, but not right now.

Chocolate is cheaper than therapy and you don't need an appointment.

Nuts just take up space where chocolate ought to be.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Hey, sorry about your chocolate hangover. I can put away the chocolate too when I have it. I just can't be trusted with it.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Evil Spock said...

Did they take you to Choco Rehab? You haven't posted in awhile .. .

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home