Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Things I Hate, Part 2

August in Texas.

I am SO freaking tired of sweating. When is it going to end? The forecast for the next week puts the high above 100 degrees every single day. We're lucky if the thermometer drops below 80 at 4am. It's now 8pm and the temperature outside is still 99. This is ridiculous! This is the kind of heat where your shoes melt to the sidewalk if you stop moving, where a breeze just makes you feel even hotter. It's hard to breath without scalding your lungs. Human beings are simply not designed for this kind of continuous heat.

I'm an Indiana girl with genes from northern Europe. I'm genetically equipped for a much more temperate climate. Where I grew up we actually had four seasons, you know, Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. Here we have Semi-Pleasant, Hades, Hades-Lite, and Drizzle, and I'm sitting smack-dab in the middle of Hades. It's the time of year when I hibernate. I stay in the house with the blinds closed, the air-conditioning on, and the freezer stocked with fudgesicles, just waiting for the outside temperature to drop to a level that won't melt the flesh off my bones. Here's hoping for some Hades-Lite real soon.

P.S. You might think that since I moved here of my own free will and I continue to live here of my own free will that I have no right to complain about the weather. You would be mistaken.

P.P.S. If DC walks outside and declares "Man, I LOVE this heat" one more time, I'm going to smack him. I don't think anyone would blame me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home